Monday, 14 November 2011

Mirage of Eternity (Part-1)

27th February '02, 7.45 AM
3 Kms away from Godhra station;
    
    There was a wave of holy spirituality in the train. People were singing the songs of lord Rama. Their lives had been enlightened by the great yagya happening in Aayodhya. The entire train was occupied by the “Kar-sewaks” or the “Ram-sewaks” returning from the sacred place of Aayodhya.
    All of them were tired to hell as they were chanting the name of their holy God during the yagya and also during the to-and-fro journey. They all were in a hurry to get home and ever eye was waiting for the train to reach the station, as the train was already 4 hours late.
   But the destiny had stored a different plan for the innocents, which was going to change the history forever.
   As the train arrived near the station, the passengers started making rush on the door to get out. The station appeared quite empty in beginning and the hawkers who used to grab their customers on running train were absent. It was a surprise for the regular passengers. The hawkers used to harass the passengers convincing them buying their products.
   But still their absence generated a little discomfort among the passengers. Something was wrong, was the only feeling in their minds.
    Then in front they saw a mob. A deadly mob of over 500 people was waiting eagerly to welcome the train, with huge swords and petrol bombs. All of their faces were covered and anger dropped like molten magma from their eyes. They were all determined. Their aim was locked. Their task was cleared.
    “Run… the mobs have got the weapons” someone shouted in the train.
    The sentence made every single person sitting in the train aware of what was happening out side. They tried to peep out of the window. Only thing they could see was the angry mobs in both side of the train.
    “Attack...” someone announced and the cruel bloodshed began. The mob with covered faces entered in to the coach and started cutting every human being in their way. The people were trapped from both the sides and had no chance to escape. No one could protest no cry was heard nothing could stop this bloodshed.
    The armed mobs were inside the train while some unarmed were outside.
    One of the mobs then picked up the petrol bomb and raised his hand. It was the signal for the others. The others also did the same in the response.
    “This is a warning to those who are in favor to build the temple. The Jama will be rebuild” he shouted and threw the bomb with full acceleration. The bomb entered in to the train through the window and a blast of fire came out in second.
    The others also threw their bombs. The entire train was burning and flames were rising above creating a black fog.
    No one could get out of the train. The bodies were lying burnt on the floor and on the track. None of them were in a condition to be recognized. The children women wept and died watching the scene in front of them. The rest who could make were killed by the armed mobs.
    The humanity was feeling ashamed. This was the cruelest face of the mankind. The most unfortunate thing was the train. The train that resembled peace purity and the peace was shattered into pieces. The train was SABARMATI-EXPRESS…
**********************************************************************************

Five years earlier… 
 “Hey…wake up” I felt a terrible shatter throughout my body. It was Prakash who shook me with his full power. I opened my eyes and watched out of the window.
   “It’s Sewagram, it will take us an hour more for Nagpur station” replied him again closing my eyes.
   “How the hell can you sleep in this earth shattering train? I am not even able to read a single line” he said.
    It was the exam time for Engineering and hence every student travelling in the train was seen deeply involved in their books. I had studied a lot last night and now was in no mood to so more. Also being in final year reduces the stress of subject being BACK, Thanks to Nagpur University. I didn’t believe in the studying-till-the-last-minute fact as I know it never works. I mean if you are not able to mug an answer in an entire semester what miracle are you going to perform in the last minute?
    “Hey Aquib… Will you please tell me in short what this quiescent point is? It is very IMP for 3 marks” asked Prakash.
    A typical Engineer, striving for single mark…
    The train stopped at the Ajni-junction and I finished teaching Prakash the quiescent point phenomenon. I saw outside from the window. The station was empty as always. There were some newspaper sellers on the very far end of the station. Except him there was no human being visible. Although many living beings were visible like dogs, huge rats, and cockroaches.
    I turned back to Prakash was chanting loudly the phenomenon ignoring the outer world. This was the best way to mug any answer and if want to be a successful Engineer then you have to be a quality mugger.
    I gave him a smile and again closed my eyes. After a second or two I heard some people quarrelling. I opened my eyes. I saw a huge man who was sitting on a window side seat and a girl was quarreling with him.
   “At least give us a seat, If you don’t want us to study” she said loudly.
   “Madam, I am sitting here for last hour and I’ll get off at the next stop. You can sit here after” the man said.
   “The next one is the last stop” she said.
    This is normal when you travel in a train. I have never witnessed a journey without such a quarrel. I stood up and went by side of the girl.
    “You can sit there…” I was paused in middle of my sentence. Those eyes didn’t let me say anything. She was the most beautiful girl I have ever seen. Her lovely pretty brown deep eyes with a slight amount of surma applied to it were looking very extra ordinary. The long hairs were nicely tied up. She must have applied a little bit of pink lipstick that made her rosy lips look more beautiful. She wore a blue jeans and a white top with perfect combination of accessories. She had a white apron hanging on one hand while a handbag on the opposite shoulder. She must be a medical student.
     She went and sat on my seat without even noticing me. I went near the door and stood their holding the bars. But my eyes had lost the focus. Though I was looking forward my eyes were seeing behind. They wanted to watch the eternal beauty for their lifetime. I turned behind to see her. She was sitting in the opposite direction hence I could not have direct view of her. A small boy was sitting in opposite seat carrying a steel box full of ladoos. I could see her in the image created on the box.
    I tried to look sideways but my eyes didn’t allow me. My heart wanted that this journey would never end.
    In five minutes we reached the Nagpur station. She stood up in a hurry and got out of the train as fast as she could. My eyes were fixed on where she was going, but my legs didn’t want to follow her. I followed her, a step or two then paused on the place watching her go. She covered her face with a scarf while walking and vanished in the ocean of crowded station.
    “Hey Aquib, wait” shouted Prakash from behind.
    “Did you saw the girl who was sitting in your place?” he asked me.
     “Yes why?”
     “Where is she?”
     “In my pocket” I replied.
     “Don’t joke yaar... Have you seen where she went?” he asked being annoyed by my joke.
     “But why are you so worried about her buddy?” I asked him in surprise.
     “She forgot her purse in the train. Here it is” he forwarded a black purse to me. It looked expensive. I opened the chain of the purse and found an identity card on the top.
     “See if it has some contact number of hers, or we will hand over the purse to the railway authority. They will deal with it” said Prakash.
     But my eyes could not move away from a part on that card. Her picture. I turned my eyes to the other part that showed her name. It was Gauri Sengupta, student of third year Medical…
**********************************************************************************

Present…
    The Sabarmati express was burning and the black smoke had occupied over a large area around the station. The burnt bodies were shattered all over the place. Some were recognizable while many were not even in a single piece. The whole railway station was turned into a cemetery.
    A man entered into the station. He was wearing a saffron dhoti and had a scarf of saffron color around his neck. His eyes were damped and his entire body was shivering watching the vision in front of him.  He stepped into the dead bodies lying search in for someone in them.
    All of them appeared the same. Burnt. The black ash was all over the station. Nothing was left except it. No living was visible in the area. Or maybe his eyes didn’t want to see anybody alive in such painful condition.
   Suddenly the man stopped watching a dead body. It had a locket of lord Rama in his neck. The body below was in good condition but the head was stucked below another body. May be he was alive. The man lowered and put a hand below the body and pulled up.
   A sudden shock travelled throughout his body. Rama has protected the body part below him. What If he had tied the locket on his forehead what If…?
    The man screamed out at his highest pitch holding the headless body and started weeping seeing the most inhuman, cruel and beastly act in human history.
**********************************************************************************
(To be continued...)
Next part: Mirage of Eternity(part-2)

1 comment: